What Is Moonlighting? and How to Get Started?
What is Moonlighting?
Moonlighting is a term that is used to describe the act of working a second job in addition to your full-time job. Moonlighting can be seen as an opportunity for people who want to make extra money or who want to explore other career paths.
It can also be seen as a way for people with two jobs to make ends meet. Moonlighting is not always easy and it has many pitfalls that you need to watch out for, but if it’s carefully planned and executed, it can be very rewarding. and help you earn an extra paycheck or income on the side.
Moonlighting can be done during spare time or on weekends.
In order to make a moonlighting job worthwhile and profitable, it’s important that it is done for hours that complement your other profession, as well as being able to fit into your personal schedule.
How to Start Moonlighting as a Freelancer
Moonlighting as a freelancer is becoming more common as people are looking for ways to supplement their income and make their work-life balance more manageable.
The following guide will show you how to moonlight as a freelancer, including what you need, how much it costs, and what the benefits are.
What You Need:
- A computer with internet access (or an internet connection on your phone)
- A freelance website
- A project management tool like Trello or Basecamp
- Some writing samples from previous projects you have completed
- Some basic knowledge of business and the freelancing industry
- Know your worth
- Be willing to work hard and hustle
- Be passionate about what you do
How Much It Costs:
It costs little to no money to start a freelancing website. You can use free platforms like WordPress, SquareSpace, and Tumblr. Build the site yourself using these platforms or pay someone else to build it for you.
If you are just starting out as a freelancer, keep your freelance site simple and do not try to fill it with too many services. It is likely worth it to be selective about what you offer.
What the Benefits Are:
Freelancing provides job security and flexibility, the opportunity to earn a flexible income, the ability to create your own schedule, and the satisfaction that comes from working for yourself.
How to Find Freelance Job Opportunities?
Finding freelance job opportunities is not easy, especially when you are just a beginner. You need to know where to look and what to do in order to find the right freelance job for you.
There are many websites that can help you find freelance job opportunities. Some of them include Upwork, Guru, Freelancer, and PeoplePerHour. These websites have created a marketplace for freelancers to find work and employers to find workers.
The most important thing is that you should be able to demonstrate your skill set in the platform so that employers will be interested in hiring you.
What are the Different Types of Freelancers and Which Type is Right For You?
Freelancers are a great option for people who want to work from home and set their own hours. However, it is important to note that freelancing is not for everyone. There are different types of freelancers and each type has its own perks and drawbacks.
There are three types of freelancers: full-time freelancers, part-time freelancers, and contract workers.
Full-time freelancers work on their own terms with the flexibility to choose when they work.
Part-time freelancers have more restrictions on when they can work but can still get projects done on their own time. Contract workers typically have less control over the hours they work but have easier access to projects since there is less competition in this field as well as a steady paycheck every week/month/year.
Pros & Cons of Moonlighting
Moonlighting is the act of juggling two or more jobs while you’re working full-time. For some people, it’s a way to make extra money. For others, it’s a way to explore other interests or offset the cost of living.
Pros: Moonlighting can be a great way to earn some extra income on the side and make your work life more interesting. It can also help you explore other interests and skills that you might not have time for in your full-time job.
Cons: Moonlighting can lead to burnout if you don’t manage your time well, which could negatively impact both your full-time job and your side gig.
How to Benefit from Moonlighting
Freelancing is a great way to make money while still working for an employer. There are a few things that you need to consider before you decide to moonlight. In the past, people had to work in one place and not have any other source of income.
However, with the invention of freelancing, people can now earn money by working for multiple employers at the same time. Some of the benefits of moonlighting are:
- You get paid more than what your employer pays you.
- You get paid for your skills and experience not just your job title or company name.
- You get more opportunities and chances to work on projects outside of your day job or company.
- If you have a side hustle, you may have more self-confidence and become more creative.
How Much Money Can Make from Moonlighting?
The amount of money you can make depends on how much time and effort you put into your second job.
If you are willing to work hard and dedicate your full-time hours to your second job, then you can make anywhere from $50K-$75K per year.
This is an example of how someone who moonlights as a copywriter could make up to $75K per year.
The average salary for a copywriter is $36K per year. So, someone who earns $50K to $75K by moonlighting as a copywriter will have a higher salary than the average copywriter.
In recent years, people have been looking to make money from home on their own terms. There are many ways that you can make money from home, but some are more lucrative than others.
If you want to know how much money you can make from moonlighting, here are a few tips:
- Consider what kind of work you would like to do for your moonlighting job.
- Make sure that you have the skills required for that type of work.
- Research how much other people in your area are charging for similar work and find out what type of fee other people are charging for your services.
- Consider how often you could work and how long you would like to provide this type of service.
- Consider what your potential earnings would be per hour, day, week, or month.
- Determine if any educational expenses will need to be paid in order to get that job done better or more efficiently.
- Find out if you will need to pay for your own supplies, tools, or office.
- Ask yourself how long you are willing to be away from your family and then consider how many hours of work a day or week would need to be done in order for you to earn enough money that would justify the time spent away from them.
Is Moonlighting Legal?
There is no federal law that prohibits moonlighting, but it can be a legal issue if one of the employers doesn’t understand the concept of moonlighting or if they are not aware of the other job.
Moonlighting is legal in most states, but it’s important to know your rights and responsibilities. If you’re worried about your employer finding out about your second job, you should consider asking for written permission from them before starting any side hustle.